My family knows that my love for all things The Pioneer Woman knows no bounds. Her recipes, her cookbooks, her dishware collection, her pots and pans, her TV show … I’m all in!
What’s not to love? She cooks like I cook – lots of comfort food, lots of heavy cream, lots of butter, and upon occasion, lots of bacon.
Don’t judge me.
One of our biggest differences is she cooks more with beef (makes sense – she lives on a beef cattle ranch) and I cook with turkey. But this doesn’t deter me – I have cooked many of her recipes with turkey with much success.
A zillion months ago someone on Twitter suggested I try the recipe for her Sour Cream Noodle Bake with ground turkey. Apparently I completely forgot to do this until last Friday. What was I thinking??
On a side note, I came home from four days at a poultry convention, where arguably most meals were, well, poultry … and what did I make on Friday night? Sour Cream Noodle Bake with Ground Turkey.
Hello lover of all things turkey. (Me.)
This is also why I can’t remember the last time I bought ground beef. (Although I love my beef farming friends, I promise!)
Anyway … back to the bake. It’s fabulous … simple ingredients, total comforty goodness, and kind of like a loose lasagna pasta salad. Teacher Man gave it a thumbs up so it will stay in the rotation. And what an easy way to switch to ground turkey … you need to try this folks!
I may have also served it with a bottle of champagne to celebrate the end of a week that was completely cray-cray. We’re fancy like that! 😉
(Note – I am not compensated to be a part of Jennie-O’s Switch Circle except for the occasional complimentary turkey products to try. Opinions are my own.)
- 1 package (1.25 pounds) JENNIE-O® Lean Ground Turkey
- 1 can 15-ounces Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 8 ounces Egg Noodles
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1-1/4 cup Small Curd Cottage Cheese
- 1/2 cup Sliced Green Onions
- 1 cup Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown ground turkey in a little bit of olive oil in a large skillet.
- Drain fat, then add tomato sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir, then simmer while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Cook egg noodles until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine sour cream and cottage cheese.
- Add plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
- Add to noodles and stir.
- Add green onions and stir.
- To assemble, add half of the noodles to a baking dish.
- Top with half the meat mixture, then sprinkle on half the grated cheddar.
- Repeat with noodles, meat, then a final layer of cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until all cheese is melted.
- We served this with peas and crescent breadsticks, but a crusty French bread would also be fabulous!